Sunday, July 19, 2009

Sourdough, Sweet Delights


Learning to make sourdough bread has been an amazing journey. I've given myself time to learn, and it's really paid off. At first, there were many failures, of all sorts, but I kept experimenting....it took many loaves. The crust is thin and crisp, the inside is soft and yummy. This batch is from this morning, 1 loaf stoneground wholemeal/unbleached white/pharoh's flour, and 2 smaller loaves of raisin, date, and cinnamon sourdough - using the same flour combo. Everyone (except me) awoke to the smell of hot fruit bread. I'm trying to make all of our own bread, still working out how much that is......when it's hot, it's devoured!

3 comments:

  1. looks delicious! and the recipe??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ancel,
    I'm using the recipe you gave me. I cup sourdough starter, mix into one cup water with 2 tsp. sugar and 2 tsp. salt. Then I mix about 3 cups flour: 1 c. stoneground wholemeal, 1 c. unbleached white bread flour, and 1 c. pharoh's flour, and mix together in a large ceramic crock. Knead for about 10 minutes, leave in a lightly oily crock for 7 or 8 hrs. covered with a damp cloth, knead gently again, shape up the dough, let sit for a while, then slash a line down the middle, let sit for 10 minutes or so. Before I put it into the oven I put a cast iron skillet on the bottom shelf with a couple ice cubes on it, for the steam effect. The oven stays at 220C for 20 minutes (although it likes to drop) then I turn it down to 205 for the next 15 the 20 minutes. I find using a bread tin to cook it in helps it rise up rather then out. For the fruit bread I use 3 teas. sugar, 1 teas. salt, a dash of cinnamon, and a handful of chopped dates and raisins at the mixing stage. There will be more new additions soon.

    Thanks again for the recipe,
    Atulya

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol, oh I see.That's funny. Well my dear yours looks absolutely delicious, you've clearly perfected it!

    ReplyDelete